The Da Vinci Code represents Jesus Christ as a mere man, a good teacher, but not God. "Jesus was viewed by His followers as a mortal prophet... . a great and powerful man, but a man nonetheless. A mortal" (p.233). "Many scholars claim that the early church literally stole Jesus from his original followers, hijacking His human message, shrouding it in an impenetrable cloak of divinity, and using it to expand their own power" (p.233).
- The Personal Witness that Jesus is God...
Some say, "My faith, which is very personal, is the best evidence that Jesus is God." The New Testament was compiled with personal testimony of faith in Christ from reading the books. Saul was transformed by Christ into Paul. The characters of thousands have changed.
- The Biblical Witness that Jesus is God...
R.A. Torrey, in a sermon on the Biblical witness of Christ's deity gives six evidences.
- Divine Names... Jesus is called "The Alpha and Omega" (Revelation 22:13), "the Lord of Glory" (I Corinthians 2:8), "our great God and Savior" (Titus 2:13), and then, "Unto the Son, he saith, 'Thy throne, O God, forever and ever'" (Hebrews 1:8).
- Divine Attributes... including omnipotence (Hebrews 1:3), omniscience (John 4:16), omnipresence (Matthew 18:20; 28:20), eternity (John 1:1) and immutability (Hebrews 13:8).
- Divine Offices... there are seven things only God can do that Christ did.
Creation, Preservation, Forgiveness of Sin, Raising of the Dead, the Transformation of Bodies, Judgment, and the Bestowal of Eternal Life are each ascribed to Jesus Christ.
- Statement in the Old Testament Made Distinctly of Jehovah, applied to Jesus in the New Testament.
"But, O LORD of hosts, that judgest righteously, that triest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them: for unto thee have I revealed my cause" (Jeremiah 11:20). "...I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works" (Revelation 2:23). This is just one example of many.
- The Coupling of the Names of God and Christ... "Our God and Savior Jesus."
- The Worship Reserved for God is Given to Christ... (Matthew 28:9; Luke 24:52; Matthew 14:33; Acts 10:25, 26; Revelation 22:8, 9; Matthew 4:9, 10). Christ's Deity is unquestioned.
- The Historical Witness that Jesus is God...
- The day of worship changed from Saturday to Sunday... due to the resurrection.
- The disciples who first hid in cowardice, died with courage... because of Christ.
- The declaration of Christ Himself... "I and my Father are one" (John 10:3).
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic, or a liar, or truly Lord." (C.S. Lewis)
- The Infernal Witness that Jesus is God...
"The devils also believe, and tremble" (James 2:19). Jesus Christ is God. The demons obey Him, the devil trembles before Him, and the darkness shies away from Him. He is God.
- The Eternal Witness that Jesus is God...
Jesus said, "If ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins" (John 8:24) and one day, "Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ in Lord."